UN-Habitat | Executive Director
World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments
Sunday, June 26, 2022
The World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments is organized by the Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments and facilitated by United Cities and Local Governments.
The World Assembly has been officially recognized by the United Nations General Assembly for the role local and regional governments play in sustainable urban development and in the implementation of the New Urban Agenda. It offers a mechanism through which local and regional governments provide inputs to the global agenda, building on the expertise of communities. This event will follow up on the commitments set forward during the high-level meeting on the review of the New Urban Agenda in New York in April 2022.
Guiding Questions for discussions
- What is the renewed commitment of the Global Taskforce after the review of the New Urban Agenda at the High-Level Meeting in April?
- How can local governments advance the implementation of the NUA in coordination with their national counterparts?
- What are the major contributions of local governments to global innovation in cities to make them inclusive and with opportunities for all?
- What kind of multilateralism is needed to support cities and territories to strive for sustainable development?
- What policy directions can governments and relevant stakeholders at various levels and in different contexts take to build resilience across various dimensions (economic, social and environmental), including appropriate governance and institutional structures?
- In what ways recovery from disruptive events can trigger equitable urban futures? What are the roles of the different levels of government and relevant stakeholders in ensuring this transformation?
- How to better link the monitoring and reporting processes of the implementation of the NUA with the urban-related indicators in the other SDGs and Agenda 2030 as a whole?
City of Katowice | Mayor
Mayor of Soria and UCLG Special Envoy for the New Urban Agenda
City of Bogota | Mayor
Public Services International (PSI) Global Union | Local and Regional Government Sector Officer
Habitat International Coalition HIC-AL | President
WHO | Assistant Director-General
CEMR spokesperson for international affairs, Lord Mayor of Sala, Sweden
UN-Habitat | Chief, Urban Practices Branch
GTF | Mayor of Kitchener, UCLG Governing President
The Hague | Mayor of The Hague, UCLG Copresident
Barcelona Metropolitan Area | Vice-president of International Relations and Cooperation of Barcelona Metropolitan Area
Governor of Yucatan
Human Settlements research group, International Institute of Environment and Development | Principal researcher
City of Raminicu Valcea | Vice-Mayor
City of Nili | Former Mayor
City of Sèmè-Podji, Benin | Mayor
SALGA | Councillor of Johannesburg, Chairperson of the Human Settlements Working Group
UITP | Secretary-General
Mayor of City of Pereira, Colombia
City of Sao Paulo | Chief of Staff of the Municipal Secretariat for International Affairs of Sao Paulo
Daejeon Metropolitan City | Ambassador
City of Kumasi, Ghana | Mayor
INCASOL | Director