Cities for people: the key role of public transport
Tuesday, June 28, 2022
Tuesday, 28 June, 11:30h-12:00h (CET)
In the context of their Memorandum of Understanding, UN-HABITAT and UITP collaborate in a number of initiatives all around the world related to advocacy, knowledge and capacity building on sustainable urban mobility. On the occasion of WUF 11, Partners have joined forces to develop a communication campaign in Katowice public transport system (see link to main messages below) on the benefits of Public Transport, kindly supported by the authorities and operators in Katowice.
The Covid-19 should not make us lose sight of the persisting global challenges. In crisis times, it is becoming clear that pursuing a resilient, inclusive, gender-equal and green economic recovery, with public transport as the backbone, is not only possible but indispensable to achieving the SDGs leaving no one and no place behind.
- Andre Dzikus, Chief, Urban Basic Services Section, UN-HABITAT
- Dionsio González, Director of Advocacy, International Association of Public Transport, UITP
- Representative of Katowice City
- Representative of Katowice Public Transport system
Moderator and contact
- Philip Turner, +34 674 769 016
- UN-HABITAT & UITP Policy Brief on “Strengthening the integration between land-use and mobility planning”, https://cms.uitp.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Policy-Brief_How-to-build-successful-cities.pdf
- UITP Policy Brief on “Public Transport for better lives”, https://cms.uitp.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Policy-Brief-CitiesForPeople-web.pdfFormat
- Public Transport Benefits campaign: https://assets.foleon.com/eu-west-2/uploads-7e3kk3/28686/ptbenefits_brochure_web.1ab7935d1ef3.pdf