Wednesday, June 29, 2022
This Urban Library event will present the initial key findings of the ASEAN Sustainable Urbanisation Report, one of the key outputs of the Accelerating the Implementation of the ASEAN Sustainable Urbanisation Strategy (ASUS) Project. The ASEAN Sustainable Urbanisation Report will enhance knowledge of the current sustainable urbanisation trends across the ASEAN region within the ASUS framework, particularly in secondary cities, and elaborate linkages between the ASUS and global frameworks such as the SDGs and New Urban Agenda. The event will also reflect on the role of regional arrangements in setting enabling environments to achieve alignment with and progress towards global frameworks. Stakeholders and participants will have the opportunity to interact with counterparts from other regions to take forward local and regional commitments for global action.
The key objectives of the event are to:
• Reflect upon findings from the ASEAN Sustainable Urbanisation Report, increasing the awareness on the main urban trends in Southeast Asia.
• Reflect upon the role of regional entities in setting strategic and enabling environments to achieve sustainable urbanisation and alignment with and progress towards global frameworks, including the contribution of regional research and normative publications.
• Contextualise the key findings of the Report within current sustainable urbanisation trends across ASEAN and other regions, with a focus on secondary and intermediate cities.
• Enhance connectivity and engagement on sustainable urbanisation issues between the national and local governance in ASEAN Member States, as well as relevant stakeholders.
• Elevate awareness of linkages between regional frameworks and key global frameworks such as the SDGs and New Urban Agenda.